Random & uninteresting facts about the maker of this blog.
Mind-Mulch: He enjoys the TV-shows NCIS, Malcolm In The Middle, Babylon-5, Scrubs, Futurama, Farscape, The Simpsons, HBO’s Rome, Time Team, House MD, Father Ted, and almost anything and everything on the History, Discovery, or Military channel.
Movies: Lord of the Rings, The Marx Brothers, Hellboy, The Far Side of The World, Aliens, varieties of Beeb comedy, Local Hero, Restless Natives, Jeeves & Wooster, anything Scottish, and anything but chick-flicks (except Austen & anything commanded by matrimonial kindness & cherishing).
Musically, it’s classical, 80s-90s rock, Dire Straits, Bluegrass, Sinatra & the Rat Pack, various sacred musics, some classic 80s-90s rap (sorry), Weird Al, and Organ & Bagpipes. And bagpipes.
Reading: Illiad & Odyssey, Aeneid (Fagles), Dante (Esolen), Nigel Tranter Scots historical fiction, Roman fiction, Patristics, military history, Farside, Calvin & Hobbes, Russian Litt., archaeology, Zombie Fiction, DK Eyewitness Travel books, Margaret George historical fiction. Voracious and promiscuous reader.
Religion: Anglo-Catholic Anglican, half-way across the Tiber.
Computer-Games: Silent Hunter 3, Space Empires 4 & 5, Rome Total War, Medieval Total War II, Civilization 4, lots of strategy games. Can’t wait for Empires: Total War.
- The Queen of England has seen my knees. I’ve sat beside one of her scary bodyguards, and she sat in one of the chairs from one of my churches. My cousin ran her security.
- I’ve eaten whale, alligator, buffalo, octopus, dulse (seaweed), and cornish game hen. Never eaten tofu, never plan to do so.
- I once had tea with one of Winston Churchill’s bodyguards.
- A decent IQ score, but not Mensa, thank heavens.
- I’ve been vetted by CSIS. Passed.
- A dog once ate my face. 60 stitches, plastic surgery ensued.
- I’ve stood on the deck of the HMS Surprise, and in the working torpedo-room of a Canadian sub, and gone lobster-fishing.
- I’ve met Barry Morse, Michael York, Avery Schrieber, Garnet Rogers, Trevor Berbick, and Ezra levant. Before her death last year, my mother had met many many notables in the world of music, including Pavarotti before he was famous.
- I once spent a weekend in a medium-security prison. Did not pick up the soap.
- I have pencil-lead in my knee. Grade 3 accident.
- I’ve saved the life of my wife at least three times, and those of my children three times, thusfar.
- I don’t see dead people, but the odd angel has shown up.