LEARN THE wrong lesson and you may get stuck on stupid. Like our endless obsession with Teh Evil Nazis.
In the Canadian Free-Speech Wars of the last decade and more– dire warnings of Nazism! It’s bubbling just under the surface of Canadian society, if we allow iffy language or forbidden opinions in blogs and print media. They wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true, right?
Oddly, a thousand-year Third Reich which lasted a dozen years, is still much with us. The Second World War began.. wait for it.. 76 years ago. In fact, 1945 is just as close to 2015.. as it is to 1869, the year Ghandi, Rasputin, and Neville Chamberlain were all born.
Adolf, Adolf Everywheres!
Why Teh Evil Nazis? It’s the mislearned politics, you see, and an obsession of the political Left.
In the topsy-turvy world of rewritten and deliberately warped history, the socialist-racist-nationalist Nazis were rewritten and recast– by the political Left– as “Right Wing” and evil, in the terms of the French Revolution. Jonah Goldberg has detailed this rewrite in his 2009 Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Change.
For the evil Nazi threat is still useful. It’s called externalized evil– Evil is Them, Over There.
Via the chattering classes, Hollywood, internets, the video game industry, and political pundits we’re still Nazi-fighting for political reasons– we do not have equal time or officially approved fascination or contempt for the USSR in the movies or latest XBox 1 or PS4 titles. We’re always fighting and re-fighting hateful “Right Wing” Hitler (not Stalin or Mao or Suleiman The Magnificent) and his successors– it’s a one-sided moralizing tale: and if we’re not the Nazis, then, why, we must be on the side of the angels. Yay us!
So with all this Hitlering and anti-Nazi pop culture, who won that War, exactly? Aside from being cartoonishly ‘evil’, what were some of the features of actual Hitlerism?
I’ve Got A Little List
(1) Hitler wanted lots of ‘free healthcare’.. like abortion, euthanasia, sterilization, eugenics– sorry, ‘family planning’– experimenting on various kinds of helpless ‘subhumans’ because science; depriving others of their legal and human rights preparatory to dehumanizing them, and getting rid of enemies and bothers by any means necessary and ‘legal’. Everything is political, no longer human. Unspeakable, wot?
(2) Hitler the Germanic Messiah hated organized religion, except as it was useful and obedient to his purposes. After the Jews were officially done, Hitler had a Holocaust 2.0 ready in hand to wipe out the European churches, take all the loot, and kill or imprison all the clergy and any Christians who would not bend the knee to him as a political god. No god but Der Caesar, nor any disloyal Christers whining about a Higher Kingdom and allegiance, or ‘Jesus Is Lord’. Thank heavens soft and harder persecution of serious non-‘progressive/ compliant’ Christians isn’t a problem any more. We won, Hitler lost.
(3) Dear old Adolf loved him some gun control. A disarmed and sheepish general populace (except for the military, secret police(s), and militarized police, and the ruling class) is a mostly helpless and compliant populace. As the post-Machiavelli politician Frank Underwood says in HBO’s TV series House Of Cards, “You may have all the money, Raymond, but I have all the men with guns.” Just imagine: deadly force only for the men with guns in service to the state. That will always end well.
(4) What next of Hitler’s unspeakable evil? Following on the lessons of Wilson’s America and late Edwardian Britain, the German regime took up the banner of high-powered propaganda, that most 20th century and demonic retailing of huge lies, half-truths, group-think, politically correct and approved belief. Megaphone Über Alles. The ruling elites are embodied truth-bearers. Frightening stuff, that Hitlerism.
(5) Der Führer was also obsessed about “Total Care”– controlling the population in such minor matters of diet, exercise, the “right foods”, tobacco, body image, art, music, childbearing, reading habits, travel, personal interests and associations, and all other matters. The state minds All The Business.
(6) Intelligent criticism or editorials, or asking questions about– or non-enthusiasm for– the latest changes in culture, society, or politics is automatic disloyalty and treason. All must watch, and inform; all must be ready for the knock at the door in the middle of the night; all are guilty until proven not guilty just yet.. but you’re being watched. ‘If you’re not guilty, you have nothing to worry about‘, as several important American idiots have stated about the all-seeing hyper-totalitarian surveillance state invented since 1945 by the land of the Free and the home of the brave. Asking questions or opting out means you probably have something evil and subversive to hide.
(7) The Nazi Gang believed The Legal = The Right. All the laws of Nazi Germany– including all the anti-Jewish and racial laws– were technically legal. Making it legal and then “just following orders” is all that counts, for superficial legitimacy, no matter the evil or insanity so promoted. Might makes right, since legality is the same as the true, good, and moral.
(8) Show-voting and snout-counting was all well and good when voting and elections and polls got Adolf what he wanted– after a certain point, the pretence was set aside, and the steel fist was revealed. Adolf would have us believe: because you have a regular voting ritual means that you are not nearly, or already, in any kind of political tyranny. All is well. A toothy smile never hides nice slavery, by “our” government, because we voted for it– so we should accept everything it says and does, and get back to the NetFlix and the Doritos and the FaceBook.
Who are we ruled by? What are we to them? Individual souls? Soylent Green? Aryan, Non-Aryan, Jewish, or Untermensch? Consumers? Voters? Taxpayers? Human resources?
We get the society (and the children) we want and ask for, and allow to be created in our name. Apply, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
Government and our officialdom reflect us, and is what we are. We value convenience, co-existence, entertainment, ‘progress’, pelvic liberty, free stuff, and– God help us– “peace and security” at almost any price. A comfortable, non-extremist life featuring– colour me shocked– many elements of the allegedly accursed evil Hitlerianism, recycled and repurposed so we don’t notice their origin.
Remind me again– is this 1938, or 2015? Are We Them? Increasingly, it’s hard to tell. ~