Writing in can make a difference! …
Dear [name removed] :
The office of the Prime Minister has forwarded to me a copy of your correspondence concerning the Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC). I regret the delay in responding.
Freedom of expression is a fundamental freedom enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which, in a free and democratic society, may be limited only when such an action is justified.
The Government of Canada is committed to the protection and promotion of human rights. To that end, the Government has introduced in Parliament Bill C-21, An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act, which calls for the Canadian Human Rights Act (CHRA) to apply equally to all Canadians. Bill C-21 would repeal section 67 of the CHRA, which currently shields some actions of the federal government or First Nations entities from the application of the CHRA. The repeal of section 67 would extend the rights of First Nations people, primarily those living on reserve, to file complaints with the CHRC.
Canada’s record on human rights is second to none; it is a record of which all Canadians can be proud.
As you may be aware, the CHRC, which administers the CHRA, operates at arm’s length from the Government of Canada and reports to Parliament independently.
However, I would like to inform you that my caucus colleague Mr. Rick Dykstra has tabled a motion that the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights examine and make recommendations with respect to the CHRC, including its mandate, operations, and interpretation and application of provisions relating to section 13 of the CHRA, which addresses hate messages. I look forward to that review.
Please be assured that your concerns have been given proper consideration. I appreciate having had your comments brought to my attention.
The Honourable Rob Nicholson
March 2015 S M T W T F S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- “The Commish” ..Contributed
- A human rights complaint
- A Letter From Rob Nicholson
- About Binks
- ACTION ALERT– CFAC Go And Do
- All Hail Porkulon!
- Atlantic Catholic: St. FX
- Barbara Hall rules on employee lifestyle and morality statement
- BEWARE– The Big Game Begins
- Binky Vs. The Zombies
- Blue Shirt Alert! ‘Hate Calls’
- CanWest vs. Maclean’s
- Coming to a human rights commission near you
- Compare & Contrast
- Complete Transcript of Ryerson Meeting
- Contest Entries Page
- CONTEST Entry: Re: Neuticles®ULTRAPLUS®
- Disgraced bureaucrat to crash Remembrance Day ceremony
- DIVERSITY VS. FREEDOM
- Elmasry hanged by his own words
- Farrow: Where do we go from here?
- Freedom of expression at Saint Mary’s
- Humanae Vitae has stood the test of time
- In Error
- Jonas on Steyn
- Letter: Contributed
- Letter: Trampling on rights
- Lou Dobbs Contra Obama/ ACORN
- Mark Steyn on TVO, SockPuppets
- Mercer: “An opportunity for mainstream media to redeem themselves”
- More Mark Mercer
- Murphy on Steyn
- NatPost On Web-Fine
- NPR Test
- Original Article
- Protestors Halt Campus Pro-Life Presentation
- Righteous crusader or civil rights menace?
- SMU Letters To The Ed
- Steyn Article
- Steynianism 91.5
- Tell your MP to stop the transsexual “Bathroom Bill”
- The Cranky Professor: Evolution in the classroom
- The PEN Canada/Paul Kidd Courage Prize
- They’re Out To Get Us!
- Toon Wars 2006, Canada
- Twelve Zeroes
- Van. Province Article
- Watch The Watchers Watching The Watched
- WaTi Article
- We can do better fighting racism
- What Teh Binks Wroted
- What’s Wrong With Canada’s Human Rights Commissions (HRC’s)
theajthomas on More Than Remembrance: Gren, P… pjb535i on Binks Loves Liberries evhmrio on Behind The Headline Edison on Saith The Preacher Jim Fincham on Binks Rant #42,688
- 1,499,188 hits
Blogs I Follow
- Monster Hunter Nation
- Mundabor's Blog
- Bright Blue Line
- The Matt Walsh Blog
- The Woman and the Dragon
- Joffre The Giant
- Haley's Halo
- Sassy Wire
- Blogging for a free world
- The Prophet Of Wrath
- Catherine Wheels
- Tea and Politics
- The WebElf Report
- Free Canuckistan!